Here is a simple quiz.
1. How much of our trade deficit is due to buying oil from foreign sources?
a. about 50%
2. If we drill more will it lower gas prices?
a. of course, increasing supply would lower prices
2. Would lower prices increase consumption?
a. of course, note how recent high prices lowered consumption
3. How many barrels a day does the U.S. consume
a. just over 20,000,000 barrels a day!
4. How barrels a day does the US produce?
a. about 5,000,000 barrels a day!
5. So, how many barrels a day must the U.S. buy?
a. take your time, math can be tricky, but the answer is over 15,000,000 barrels a day!
6. How long have we been drilling for oil in America.?
a. Nearly 100 years
7. Do you think we should become energy self sufficient, thereby keeping hundreds of billions of dollars at home?
a. if you answer NO, please report to the Department of Homeland Security.
8. If you answered yes, do you think if we start drilling EVERYWHERE that has been suggested such as ANWR, OFFSHORE, and COLORADO oil shale, we can find 15,000,000 barrels a day in new production, effectively quadrupling our current output?
a. If you answered yes, please report to a psych ward.
9. If you think we cannot completely solve our energy issues by drilling alone, what do you think we should do?
a. EVERYTHING WE CAN!
10. Are you going to do anything?
a. If no, then my statement “people get what they deserve” applies.
b. If yes, exactly what?, i.e. vote, conserve, invest, commit suicide?